Published on February 15th, 2019 | by Kirk Hiner0
Forecast Bar puts the weather right on your Apple TV home screen
There are plenty of weather apps available for Apple TV, but perhaps none that are more convenient than Forecast Bar. Whereas most require you to navigate to and launch the app, Forecast Bar displays your weather information right at the top of the home screen when you launch your Apple TV.
Forecast Bar does this by taking advantage of Top Shelf, a tvOS feature that allows top row app icons to change so they display content specific to that app. Most developers use this for a logo or splash screen, but Forecast Bar uses it to display up-to-the-minute weather at up to four locations.
You can click to expand the forecasts to see 24-hour temperature, precipitation, wind, humidity, and UV index details, as well as hour-by-hour sky conditions. The app was just updated to provide accurate long-range forecasts and detailed summaries from The Weather Company.
Forecast Bar automatically determines your location to provide hyper-local weather data. In addition, you can store up to 10 saved locations, and switch between them. By default, Forecast Bar will automatically detect which units to use for your location, or you can manually set your preferred units.
The full list of features includes:
- Current conditions, with feels like, high, and low temperatures, cloud conditions, and relative humidity
- A succinct description (available in 21 languages) of the weather for the next hour, and next 24 hours
- Charts showing temperature and rain forecasts for at least the next 8 hours
- An animated chart showing rain intensity when applicable
- A 6-day forecast with high and low temperatures and weather conditions
- A full description of all local NWS severe weather alerts (U.S. only)
- Current wind conditions with an animated compass
- Dew point and humidity readings, with a “mugginess” animated gauge
- A pressure indicator with trend information
- Sunrise and sunset times for the day
- Moon phase
- Visibility reading
- UV Index
Mac and iPhone owners should also note that Forecast Bar supports iCloud Sync, so all your settings from connected devices are instantly transferred to your TV.
Forecast Bar is available for $3.99 in the App Store. Your purchase provides access to one year of service, after which you can renew via in-app purchase.
For more information, visit forecastbar.com/appletv.