Published on May 2nd, 2018 | by Kirk Hiner0
Apple officially orders “Are You Sleeping” TV show
It’s been a bit since we’ve updated you about the TV programs Apple has put into development, but today we’ve learned through a report at Variety that one show has received an official order. Are You Sleeping—which stars Octavia Spencer and is being produced by Reese Witherspoon’s Hello Sunshine and Chernin Entertainment/Endeavor Content—has been picked up for 10 episodes. The show’s creator, Nichelle Tramble Spellman (The Good Wife) will serve as showrunner.
News of the Are You Sleeping originally broke in early January 2018 and was one of the first programs added to Apple’s slate. The show is based on the novel of the same name by Kathleen Barber, which was reprinted in March by Gallery Books.
Josie Buhrman has spent the last ten years trying to escape her family and with good reason. After her father’s murder thirteen years prior, her mother ran away to join a cult and her twin sister Lanie, once Josie’s closest friend and confidant, betrayed her in an unimaginable way. Now, Josie has finally put down roots in New York, settling into domestic life with her partner Caleb, and that’s where she intends to stay.
The only problem is that she has lied to Caleb about every detail of her past—starting with her last name.
When investigative reporter Poppy Parnell sets off a media firestorm with a megahit podcast that reopens the long-closed case of Josie’s father’s murder, Josie’s world begins to unravel. Meanwhile, the unexpected death of Josie’s long-absent mother forces her to return to her Midwestern hometown where she must confront the demons from her past—and the lies on which she has staked her future.
There’s still no word on exactly when we can expect to see Are You Sleeping or any of Apple’s other programs, with recent reports vaguely targeting somewhere between March 2019 and summer of that year. How we’ll be able to watch them is an even bigger mystery.
For a refresher on what’s been announced by Apple so far, follow the links below.
- an adaptation of Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy
- Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon’s Little America, based on Epic Magazine’s series of true stories of America’s immigrants
- a psychological thriller produced by M. Night Shyamalan
- a drama series centered around NBA star Kevin Durant
- a new show from the creator of La La Land
- a Kristen Wiig comedy based Curtis Sittenfeld’s upcoming short-story collection You Think It, I’ll Say It
- the futuristic world-building drama See
- A docuseries called Home
- Are You Sleeping? starring Octavia Spencer and based on Kathleen Barber’s novel of the same name
- A TV morning show drama starring Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston
- a reboot of Steven Spielberg’s ’80s anthology Amazing Stories
- and a new sci-fi drama from Ronald D. Moore