Published on March 30th, 2018 | by Kirk Hiner0
Apple TV Remote app gets an update, too
On the heels of yesterday’s tvOS 11.3 release, Apple has updated their Apple TV Remote iOS app. The update comes only with bug fixes (like the four most recent updates before it). Considering the app’s rather dismal 2.2 rating in the App Store, however, it could likely use some more bug fixes.
That initial negativity aside, the Apple TV Remote app is actually a pretty handy resource for Apple TV owners. It uses your iPhone screen to recreate the Siri Remote interface so you won’t have to dig that out from between the sofa cushions each time you want to switch streams or play a game. More importantly, it’s smart enough to recognize when you’re typing and pulls up to a virtual keyboard for easier password/text entry than swiping on the Siri Remote; very handy when searching for shows to watch, entering a password, and so on.
In addition, the app allows you do the following right from your iPhone:
- Navigate Apple TV with touch gestures
- Ask Siri to find something to watch, listen to, or play
- Control the movie, TV show, or song that’s currently playing
- View song lyrics, change music tracks, and select movie chapters
- Play games using the accelerometer and gyroscope
- Turn on Game Mode for simplified game controls
- Use volume buttons on your iOS device to control volume
If you’re not sold on its functionality, check out our 5 reasons the Apple TV Remote app is more useful than you think.
The Apple TV Remote app is available now for free in the App Store.