Published on February 28th, 2018 | by Kirk Hiner0
M. Night Shyamalan producing psychological thriller for Apple
We still don’t know when or even how we’ll be able to watch all of these shows coming to Apple’s streaming service, but we do know what the next one will be. As reported yesterday by Variety, Apple has given a straight-to-series order to a 10-episode physhological thriller executive produced by M. Night Shyamalan.
Shyamalan, of course, brought us blockbusters such as The Sixth Sense, Signs and Unbreakable, and is known for his Twilight Zone style twist endings. He most recently scored a hit with the film Split, and is currently working on its sequel—Glass—both of which tie into Unbreakable.
The new half-hour series for Apple will be written by Tony Basgallop, the creator of Hotel Babylon. Basgallop’s recent credits include Berlin Station, 24: Legacy, and 24: Live Another Day. Shyamalan will direct the first episode.
As per usual with Apple, we know little else about the new show; no title or plot details. Hopefully we learn more about these shows and Apple’s streaming media direction when Eddy Cue, Apple’s Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services, speaks at SXSW in Austin, Texas, in March.
Here’s the rundown of Apple shows that could be addressed:
- a drama series centered around NBA star Kevin Durant
- a new show from the creator of La La Land
- a Kristen Wiig comedy based Curtis Sittenfeld’s upcoming short-story collection You Think It, I’ll Say It
- the futuristic world-building drama See
- A docuseries called Home
- Are You Sleeping? starring Octavia Spencer and based on Kathleen Barber’s novel by the same name
- A TV morning show drama starring Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston
- a reboot of Steven Spielberg’s ’80s anthology Amazing Stories
- and a new sci-fi drama from Ronald D. Moore
Did we miss any?
M. Night Shyamalan photo by Gage Skidmore.